Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wooly dryer balls!

Fed up with the rubber odor of the store-bought dryer balls I had been using, I decided to make some wooly felted ones.

Step one...the core...I wound a ball of scrap acrylic until it was about 7 1/2-8 inches in circumference.
000_1120

Step two...winding the wool...I chose to use Knit Picks Wool of the Andes, as if felts up so nicely, but you can use any non-superwash wool. Each ball takes about 50 yards. Wind the wool yarn snugly around the core ball so that all of the core is covered evenly.
000_1121

Step Three...securing the tail...using a crochet hook, secure the tail under loops of yarn until there is no more hanging out.
000_1123
000_1125

Step Four...preparing for the first felting...tie the completed balls into a lingerie bag or a nylon stocking to keep them from unraveling, and toss in the washer, then the dryer.
000_1127

Step Five...the second felting...remove the ball(s) from the lingerie bag or stocking, and wash and dry again (at this point they will NOT unravel!)
000_0038
The ball on the right has been felted once, the ball on the left, twice.

At this point they do not really need to be felted anymore, but you can repeat step five as many times as you like.

Use in place of dryer sheets (which can diminish the life of you dryer, cause buildup on clothes...especially cloth diapers, or cause allergic reactions for some people). I ended up making 4 of these balls, and they work wonderfully. My clothes and cloth diapers are coming out of the wash fluffier and softer than ever! They work even better than the store-bought variety, and don't have the unpleasant rubber odor!

Another great felting wool is:
Pin It

6 comments:

jd said...

What a great idea!! I'll be posting about this on my blog at:
http://crochet.craftgossip.com

jd

Sr. Carole Ann Clark, OSB said...

Can you use acrylic?

Kate said...

I love the idea of using acrylic for the core: no wasting of lovely wool!

Carlinda Lewis said...

Just love these! I made a bunch for Christmas presents. I also put a couple of drops of fragrance oil on them to make my clothes smell yummy. I also posted about these on my blog. http://hookhound.blogspot.com Thank you for sharing on how you make these.

Wali said...

Hi. I am loving your blog. I had added this pattern to my ravelry account and noticed that this pattern is no longer there. I had to go back and search for you to find your website in order to find this post. Why was it removed? It's such a great idea!

Amy said...

I have no idea! I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up!