Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sew Sew...Making a fleece sleep sack

After searching and searching for fleece sleep sacks in my area, and only being able to find terry ones, I gave up, and decided to make my own.



I got a few yards of fleece at walmart (way more than needed for this project, but I am sure it will be used later ;))



I sketched up a basic pattern, using an infant nightie as a basic model, but made it considerably larger...



Laying the pattern on the fold of the fabric, I cut out 2 peices for each sack...




then cut one in half down the center, and pinned a 3/4 inch seam...



and sewed each side about 1/8 inch from the cut edge (since fleece doesn't ravel, there is no need to turn under)...




Then I pinned the uncut piece in half , and lined up one of the now hemmed cut pieces...







traced a guideline for stitching equal to the hemmed edge of the cut peice...






and stitched along that line, them moved over about 1/8 inch, and stitched a parallel line...







trimmed the excess fabric about 1/8 of an inch from the seam, reserving it for later...





opened the now seamed back piece, and stitched the double seam flat...





Next I aligned the 2 front peices so that the seams overlapped, and stitched the bottom 5 inches together...



I then layered front and back with right sides together, pinned, and stitched the sholders and body together with a 1/4 inch seam allowance...





Using the strip reserved from earlier, I pinned it around the neck opening, and sewed with a 1/8 seam allowance...



then folded down the armholes, pinned them, and stitched a 1/8 inch seam allowance...






Then turned the whole thing right side out, and measured for snap placement...I set mine every 3 inches...(you could used velcro, zipper, or snap tape here if you don't have a snap setter)...







and set the snaps in the marked places...






VOILA!!! Cute and cozy sleep sack!





Here are the 3 different ones I made...




Get great deals on fleece at Amazon! Pin It

11 comments:

tina said...

what a great tutorial! i can't wait to try one of these for my son. thank you for sharing.

Nicole said...

Thanks for all the pictures and details instructions. I definitely want to try making one of these!

Sally HP said...

I've been looking for a pattern for these, and am just curious why you cut the back in half also? I'm not always the most visual learner, so I can't really picture why it couldn't have stayed whole? Thanks!

Amy said...

Actually, I only cut the front in half ;)

Beverley said...

I made a slight modification, ran a zip from the bottom to top... to make nappy changing easier, and as my son got older made a bigger on with press studs at the bottom... eventually used it as his gown...

Blue Sky Design said...

Hello! Great tutorials & patterns! Where did you get the snap setter?

Thanks!

Amy said...

The one used here for metal snaps (works for grommets too)was one I inherited from my hubbys grandmother...I believe they are sold at Joanns and other fabric/craft stores...I also have one to set poly-resin snaps that I purchased here http://www.kamsnaps.com/

Blue Sky Design said...

Thanks for the info!

Dr Jude said...

Thanks for the wonderful examples! I just made one for my 6 month old because the ones in the stores seem too hot or expensive. My first attempt was dismal - the armholes were large enough for "an entire baby to fit through" (my hubby's comment). With a little reworking, I saved my project. It looks great. Have you thought about posting the pattern?

Meg said...

Thanks for sharing this. My son (2 yrs) has to wear a Ponsetti Brace for his clubbed feet at night from aged 3 mo until sometime after he turns 3 yrs old. We can't put him into those warm footie pajamas because of the way the brace fits, and he's too big for the store-bought sacks. This solves our problem -- thank you a hundred times!

Any suggestions for adding long sleeves?

Melanie said...

Meg, If you put the baby in a long sleeved onesie or long sleeved pjs inside the sack, no need for a long sleeved sleep sack! :)