Saturday, January 17, 2009

Luna Lovegood's Tote

For all my fellow Harry Potter fans, I have worked up a (passable) version of the tote carried by Luna Lovegood in the Order of the Phoenix. It is not a perfect replica...try as I might, I couldn't find a single yarn that mimiced the woven pattern on the (obviously sewn fabric) bag from the film, but I think this one is just about close enough.



Luna Lovegood’s Tote

G hook, worsted weight yarn (example uses TLC Essentials Shaded Denim)

Strap:
Ch 9
R1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across
R2 ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across (8)
R3 Repeat for about 40 inches, do not bind off.
R4 work 2 more sc in last sc of final row (turn corner) and sc evenly along the side, work 3 sc in in the first free loop at the ‘bottom (turn corner), and sc in the next 6 free loops. Work 3 sc in last free loop (turn corner), sc evenly along side, work 1 sc in the first sc of the last row and join in the same st with a slip stitch, bind off.

Bag panel (make 2):
Ch 49
R1 sc in second ch from the hook and in each ch across
R2 ch 1 turn, sc in each st across
R3 Repeat for 10 inches, bind off
R4 Join yarn with a slip stitch in the 6th sc from the bind off, ch1, sc in same st and sc across leaving 5 stitches at the end unworked
R5 ch 1, turn, sc across
R6 Repeat R5 3 more times and bind off

Repeat for second panel

Lay panels together with wrong sides facing, crochet together along each side and bottom, fold the bottom ‘cutout’ portion flat and crochet closed on both ends., attach handle with about a 2-3 inch overlap on each side, centering on the side seams. Work a round of sc around the top of the bag, bind off. Weave in and trim all ends, voila!!



And just because I love it so much,
Pin It

9 comments:

Sherry said...

Do you happen to have a knit pattern for this? I saw one recently, but couldn't get my hands on the pattern.

Amy said...

Not at the moment...possibly down the road...I'll lyk!!

Amy said...

Just curious, what are the finished dimensions of the tote?

Amy said...

...it is roughly 11X11", with about a 2" bottom/sides...just a guestimate...mine is currently in use, so is a bit plump, LOL.

Julie Fox said...

I love this tote, I'm going to have to make it as my next project.

Tiffany Longbottom said...

I just made this and it's absolutely fantastic! It complements my costume so well. Thank you so much for posting this!

Yami Enzeru said...

Would you be willing to make me one to purchase? I'm not very good with this kind of thing.

Unknown said...

I see this is an older post but I am making this bag now and just found a yarn at Michaels that I think will be great. It's Lion Brand Homespun Colonial.

lifeonwheelz said...

Did u finish?